Thursday, December 20, 2012

The question I get asked most this time of year :)

My birthday is December 22. When I mention my birthday, everyone's next question is "What is it like having a birthday that close to Christmas?"

The question is a bit difficult for me to answer. I don't feel that unique in that regard. I am the oldest of 3. My birthday is the 22nd, my sister's is the 14th, and my brother, who is 12 years younger than me, is ALSO the 22nd. Yes, all 3 of us were born within 8 days of each other. No, it wasn't planned (my brother and I both qualify as 'surprises'). Yes, my parents are poor planners. But once I became a teenager, I discovered if you count backwards, you arrive at their wedding anniversary ;)

So, at my house, everyone had a birthday at Christmas. I had my birthday to myself until my 12th. And when my brother was born, I really wanted a brother and thought it was cool to share my day with him. (If you ask me now...:))

When we were very young, my sis and I had joint birthday parties. As we got older, the parties split. I have had birthday parties at many different times of the year. January, February (Valentine themed), March, and April (Easter themed).

I don't think I have ever had a party on the actual DAY of my birthday. So many are traveling or just really busy trying to finish up. When we were younger, Mom and Dad gave us the 'big' present for our birthday, like a new bike. Christmas was all the smaller stuff.  When you woke up on the morning of your birthday, all your presents were wrapped (in birthday paper) under the Christmas tree. (The Christmas presents were all shoved to the back). We each got to pick our birthday dinner, which was almost always at a restaurant. With the age difference between my brother and I, he picked lunch, say McDonalds or Burger King, and I picked dinner, say Red Robin.  When I was a teenager, usually my birthday was the final day of shopping for our family. We usually went to the mall and worked on stockings and any final buying.

Because of the holiday, and no one really wants to shop more, I probably get more gift certificates than most. Or, I get taken out to eat. Some years, I have gone a week or more without eating dinner at home. That is not good for your waistline. Or the one year we got snowed in right after Christmas and we had no groceries in the house because I hadn't cooked in over a week, so no grocery shopping.  Due to all the gift certificates, I have a large winter wardrobe and not much spring and summer clothes. The last couple of years, I have made myself save the gift certificates and spend them in the spring.

If you know anyone with a December birthday, take the time to wish them a great day. Try, if you can, to not roll Christmas and birthday into one. It is probably more difficult for kids than adults. (I used to think it wasn't fair that I only got presents once a year, when all my friends got presents TWICE a year.) As I got older, I understood that others forgot because they were busy. I am good about announcing my upcoming day (this blog maybe?? LOL) as a 'helpful reminder' to everyone.

So, now you have all had the most asked questioned answered for you today.

No comments: